Herding the Patient
Bayside General Hospital is trying to streamline its operations. A problem-solving group consisting of a nurse, a technician, a doctor, an administrator, and a patient is examining outpatient procedures in an effort to speed up the process and make it more cost-effective. Listed here are the steps that a typical patient follows for diagnostic imaging:
- Patient enters main hospital entrance.
- Patient takes a number and waits to be called to registration desk.
- Patient registers.
- Patient is taken to diagnostic imaging department.
- Patient registers at diagnostic imaging reception.
- Patient sits in department waiting area until dressing area clears.
- Patient changes in dressing area.
- Patient waits in dressing area.
- Patient is taken to exam room.
- Exam is performed.
- Patient is taken to dressing area.
- Patient dresses.
- Patient leaves.
- 1. Create a service blueprint of the procedure and identify opportunities for improvement.
- 2. Describe what elements of a service scape would make this service more palatable to the customer and efficient for the hospital staff.