1.What was the traditional level of national spending on domestic security? What were the exceptions? Why?
2. Explain why concerns over border security and immigration have waxed and waned over the course of the nation’s history
3. What are three characteristics of al-Qaida’s terrorist organization as it existed on 9/11? Why are they significant?
1. Why did a significant federal role for domestic security, except during periods of war, not emerge until the twentieth century?
2. Identify two historical conflicts in which the U.S. government used military tribunals to try civilians arrested in the United States and why these powers were employed.
3. Explain the relationship between civil liberties and domestic security in the American tradition.