Healthcare professionals would be thrilled if individuals made decisions about what to eat based on a solid knowledge of what constitutes a “healthy diet.” Unfortunately, that is not typically the case. Many people do not know what constitutes a healthy diet. There are also those who do know but make less healthy choices for several reasons.
The food choices that people make are influenced by a variety of factors. Factor-categories include, but are not limited to, environmental cues, socioeconomic realities, cultural/religious beliefs, and the availability of foods in the community.
In a 3-page paper, written in APA format using proper spelling/grammar, address the following:
- Explain what nutrition is and why it is important.
- Describe the characteristics of a healthy diet and provide supporting examples.
- Identify at least two (2) factors (other than culture) that can impact a person’s food choices and provide a specific example for each.
- Research a culture (e.g., ethnic, religious, dietary) where specific food restrictions are dictated and address the following:
- Describe the restrictions.
- Explain how the restrictions could make it difficult for an individual to achieve a healthy diet.
- What dietary alternatives could be incorporated to overcome the dietary restrictions?
- Cite at least 3 credible references and present the resources in APA format on the References page