“Ancient Greece and Athletics” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
How do you think the modern day olympics differ from the olympic games that were conducted in ancient Greece? Discuss your thoughts on the ancient Greece olympic rules regarding females and what they reveal about the female status. Next, describe how the olympic rules and portrayal of the female status is conveyed in today’s olympic games. Any similarities or differences?
Ancient Greek Athletics and Female Status
Chapter 4 (p. 118), Olympics. Chapters 4 (pp. 113-114), women in Sparta; For Athens later, see pp. 137-8.
British Museum’s Running Girl artifact at http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/gr/b/bronze_figure_of_a_girl.aspx
Philadelphia’s Penn Museum on Women and Greek athletics at http://www.penn.museum/sites/olympics/olympicsexism.shtml
(If Link has moved or expired, please continue your own research online.)
Please avoid using Forbidden websites such as Course Hero, Cheggs, Wikipedia, etc., or any websites that have the answers “prepared” or “for sale.” Also please avoid posting content that is missing in-text citations and references. Both are examples of plagiarism. Your post or paper will be “Flagged” by Black Board and returned.
Week 2 Discussion Template: Please copy, fill in with your own research and words: Template for Week Discussion Please fill in each section with your summary of your research using your own words.
Please copy and paste template: Fill in template, copy and paste to Blackboard (please no attachments are allowed in discussion area, those using tablets or phones cannot open attachments, therefore unable to read or comment on your post.) Minimum of 125 Words
Hello Class and Dr. C, here is my main Discussion Post for Week 2:
The Competitive Character of the Ancient Greeks
· Why do you think the competitive nature of the Greeks was so important for their success as a people and culture?
· What are some of the advantages of being very competitive?
· Greece was very small compared to all her neighbors (like Persia and Egypt) so why was being competitive a big advantage for Greece?
The Ancient Olympics vs The Modern Olympics
· Talk about the fact that Greek male athletes competed nude versus today -imagine how that would play out with modern television…
· Discuss the sheer scope of the modern games with so many nations versus the smaller number of Greek cities
· Are the Olympics today more about ‘the athletes’ or the ‘nations’?
Women in the Olympic Games
Explain what the Olympic rules regarding females.
What does artifact the “running girl” artifact, reveal about female Greek athletics?
(Please do Internet research on “Greek Running Girl Artifact”
What are women’s role in Greek society? Did they have a voice in society?