As an HR practitioner managing the employee performance cycle plays a key role. Although line managers and employees carry out the process, it is important for HR to ensure that management practices and methodologies are in place that will assist the organisation to meet companywide objectives.
Write an essay in which you:
Compare and contrast different types of performance management models and analyse the relative advantages and disadvantages of them for both employers and employees.
You should present one clear example of practice to demonstrate how and what type of performance management methodologies, tools and techniques are being used to suit the unique organisational environment and how HR has prepared the business and its people to meet and adapt to new challenges. (Your core textbook, Hook and Jenkins, 2019, Ch.7, is your initial point of reference)
You will be marked as follows:
- Definition, evaluation, and analysis of performance management models, including advantages and disadvantages of each. (30 Marks)
- Identify theories, best practices and approaches taken to manage and drive high levels of performance successfully and outline the business approach to managing remote teams. Including the role of line managers in performance management and any legal, wellbeing and Health and Safety compliance considerations. (40 Marks)
- Example of practice from onenamed organisation that has prepared its business and staff for home working demonstrating your ability to review and outline what preparation and approaches have been taken, how they aim to manage the performance of their people and continue to achieve high levels of organisational performance. (20 Marks)
- Use correct academic writing technique, including effective structure, grammar, spelling, use of in-text citations, and a full reference list, all of which should use the Harvard referencing convention. (10 Marks)
To achieve success, the following is required:
- Define and evaluate the standard expectations of each type of performance management model. You should use academic textbooks and papers, and industry-chartered institute platforms, such as, CIPD, CMI, Institute of Leadership and Management, to define the nature of these performance management models. Including the advantages and disadvantages of these models.
- Define and explain how organisations use a mix of performance management tools and techniques to suit their unique organisational environment and how they maintain high levels of motivation and performance from their remote people and teams.
- Give one example of actual practice by a named organisation, ensuring you cite sources, such as, companywide people practice, company annual reports, academic case-studies, etc to evidence your work.
- The majority of work should demonstrate your own original thinking, with data, quotes, paraphrased opinions, and other evidence used where appropriate, to evidence and support your own, original debate.
- This should be delivered in an essay format, consisting of a title page, your main body of work, and a reference list. There is no requirement for an executive summary, table of contents, or appendices. You must not use diagrams or tables as part of your answer.
- Evidence should be used from appropriate sources, such as; your core text book, other HRM text books, academic papers and HRM journals, case-studies contained in academic works or on industry chartered institute platforms, such as CIPD, CMI, Institute of Leadership and Management, etc.
- Students demonstrating higher level academic skills of analysis and evaluation, and sophisticated use of evidence/sources, will score in the higher grade-ranges.
- Referencing conventions and the credibility of sources is a vital aspect of academic writing. Students demonstrating a higher level of academic rigour in these areas will score in the higher grade-ranges.