Project 3: Government Mobile Apps Security Assessment & Strategy
For this research report you will research and then present your findings about cybersecurity issues specific to mobile applications. You will also provide a set of recommendations for best practices (your “strategy”) for security architectures and designs for mobile apps.
Mobile applications are important because they allow citizens and other stakeholders to access information and services through the federal government’s digital government initiatives.
Note: this assignment requires inclusion of diagrams or graphics that help to explain the information provided in your analysis and strategy. You are not required to create these on your own. Instead, you should look for useful graphics/diagrams in the readings and use those to support your work. You must cite the source for each piece of artwork used in your project. Put a figure caption under the diagram or chart and then place the in-text citation at the end of the caption.
Write a five to seven page report in which you summarize your research and present your “best practices” based strategy for reducing risk and ensuring security for government provided mobile apps and their users. You should focus upon clarity and conciseness more than length when determining what content to include in your paper. At a minimum, your report must include the following:
1. An introduction or overview of mobile apps for digital government. Include 5 or more examples of mobile apps recognized as being innovative or “best of category” applications for delivering government information and services to mobile devices. This introduction should be suitable for an executive audience.
2. A separate section in which you discuss the federal government’s requirements and recommendations for mobile app security architectures and the associated design recommendations. Write this section for non-technical managers; you will need to translate from tech-speak to manager-speak. Include at least three diagrams or pictures in this section and remember to include the appropriate in-text citations for the source (append to the figure caption).
3. A separate section in which you discuss industry’s recommendations for security architectures and risk reduction for mobile app security. Write this section for non-technical managers; you will need to translate from tech-speak to manager-speak. Include at least three diagrams or pictures in this section and remember to include the appropriate in-text citations for the source (append to the figure caption).
4. A section in which you present 5 or more best practice recommendations for building security (the confidentiality, integrity, availability, authenticity, and non-repudiation for Mobile Applications) into mobile applications used to deliver government information and services. Present these strategies as recommendations for reducing risk.
5. A separate section in which you summarize your research and recommendations.