Choose one of the following themes or propose one of your own. Explain the reasons for your choice.
- A fairy tale, myth, fable, or classic story
- A key character in myth, fable, or classic story story
- A political or social theme–justice and injustice, social inequality, social progress, political conflict, etc.
- Representations of gender, race, or ethnicity
- Natural forces or elements of the natural world, like weather, animals, landscapes, etc.
- A particular emotion, spiritual state, or state of mind–love, anger, jealousy, fear, gratitude, confusion, etc.
Now, for Part 2 of the project, you should identify three expressions of the theme in three different humanities disciplines (visual art, music, dance, poetry, prose, theater, film, religion) that you will discuss in your final essay. For instance, if you choose the emotion of “love,” you could talk about love as it is expressed in Shakespeare’s Sonnet 147 (literature), Boticelli’s Birth of Venus (visual art), and in the ballet Swan Lake (dance).
- Find good representations (a good-quality image, recording, video, etc.).
- Identify the source
- Explain briefly why you find each of these appealing to include in this assignment.